Spray Tan Tips
Follow these tips for a beautiful, believable bronze that lasts 5-7 (or even up to 10!) days depending on its care.
Spray Tan Truths
Forget everything you may have heard or even experienced in the past. Here’s the naked truth about spray tanning today.
Orange Is Not an Option
Nowadays spray tans are formulated to counter orange undertones. And, like many of today’s makeup foundations, your spray tan is customizable to match your skin and meet your #tangoals. If you’re new to spray tanning, you may consider starting with a lighter shade and building up with color-enhancing products.
Break the Streak
Unlike a self-tanner, which obviously relies on its owner to put it on correctly, a spray tan is applied by a perfectly calibrated system for a flawlessly even tan. Still, preparation and maintenance are critical. Exfoliate and shave before your spray tan, and make sure your moisturizer is designed for sunless tanning.
Gee, Your Tan Smells Terrific
Today’s spray tans are formulated to virtually eliminate the smell commonly associated with them. But not all skin chemistry is the same — so if the smell bothers you, consider adding a scent to your spray tan. It’ll enhance the overall experience and you can be assured you’ll smell good, too.
It’s Only Natural
DDHA (dihydroxyacetone) — the active ingredient in all sunless tanners — is a colorless, natural, plant-derived compound that has been FDA-approved since the 70s for external application. Planet Tan features only eco-certified DHA solutions. In accordance with the latest FDA guidelines, we provide protective eyewear, nose filters and lip balm. In addition, all spray tan systems self-clean immediately after every session.
- Shower, exfoliate and shave.
- Use moisturizers and lotions specially formulated exclusively for spray tanning.
- Wear loose-fitting, dark clothing and flip-flops or sandals to avoid rub-off.
- Wear makeup, deodorants or perfumes. They can create a barrier for absorption.
What to Wear
- Wear a swimsuit or undergarments that you don’t mind staining — if you wear anything at all! Please disrobe only to your comfort level.
- Wear a protective hair cap and remove all jewelry. Remember to remove your watch or fitness tracker!
Prep & Protect
- Apply a light layer of barrier cream in areas where skin tends to be rougher — especially elbows, hands and feet (including cuticles, fingers and toes) — as they tend to soak up more color.
- Use our free amenities for your convenience and protection, including hair caps, eyewear, nose filters, lip balm and cotton balls.
- Moisturize daily with a high quality product formulated for spray-tanned skin. Caution! Drugstore lotions may contain oils and other ingredients that can shorten the life of your spray tan.
- Use soaps and body washes made to extend the life of your tan. Avoid harsh soaps and those with exfoliants or oils which can shorten the life of your tan.
- Maintain your spray tan between sessions with a self-tanning product.
- Sweat heavily, shower, bathe or swim for at least 4 hours afterward. Note that chlorine will break down a spray tan quickly and so we suggest avoiding it entirely, if possible.
- Use pore strips or bandages that will take off your tan.
- Use an exfoliant until you’re preparing to spray again.
Pro Tip: Want to wow with intense color?
Try cocktail tanning — a sunbed session followed immediately with a spray tan chaser. It’s booze-free but still so delicious!